When we wanted a gluten-free graham cracker crust for our key lime meringue pie, we looked to Gluten-Free Girl because we wanted a recipe that included the making of graham crackers, rather than a trip to the store for ready-made, GF graham crackers. We followed that recipe pretty closely and came up with crackers that looked like this:
I am often imprecise with measurements, but note them as closely as I can. A few grams on either side should not make a difference. This is the recipe for graham crackers as I followed it, which has a few modifications from the one referenced above.
- 70g garbanzo flour
- 70g tapioca flour
- 70g white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon guar gum
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 100g melted butter
- 85g honey
- 3-6 tablespoons cold water
Preheat the oven to 325F/160C
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Cut the butter into the mixture until the texture is mealy. It’s easiest to do this in a food processor.
- Combine the honey and a few tablespoons of cold water and pour it into the batter while mixing.
- Keep mixing until the dough sticks together in a ball: add more water if necessary.
- Roll the dough into two balls. Wrap each dough ball and cool in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out (one ball at a time) on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. The flattened dough should be about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut the dough to match the pattern you want for your graham crackers.
- Refrigerate the rolled out dough for 15 minutes.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Bake the graham crackers until they are golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet. They should become quite crisp.
Verdict on the result: the kids liked them, but I’m going to work with the recipe. It’s probably me, or perhaps my mixture of flours, but I found them to be a bit dense. That said, we made them mainly so that we could make graham cracker crumbs, and for that they were great.
The graham cracker crust
- 200g graham cracker crumbs
- 115g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Blitz the graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar, in a food processor until uniformly mixed. The crumbs should hold together when pressed.
- Pour into a pie dish and press up against the bottom and sides.
- We did not pre-bake this, but it can be browned at 375F/190C for 5-10 minutes if desired.
Once pressed into the dish, the crust looked like this:
The pie was lovely, and disappeared quickly. I’ll still work to improve this recipe, though. The crust was a bit dense, which may be because my own measurements of butter and sugar were off, or because the graham crackers I worked with were dense.